Educational Event featuring the Blue Devils (Leadership/Educators only)
, :: June 21, 2019
System Blue Educational Events provide an opportunity for students, educators, and fans alike to hone their performance and leadership skills under the instruction of the finest educators in the marching arts.
Individual Advance registration: $90
Individual Late registration (starting June 16): $110
Educator Workshop: $50 (FREE if 10+ students from you school are attending)
- Instruction and materials
- Admission to MidCal Champions Showcase
Group rates available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for groups of 10 or more.
HOUSING: This is a commuter event. There are many good hotel options near the event site should you need overnight accommodations.
- 8:00 am
- 9:00 am
- Morning session
- 12:00 pm
- Lunch provided by System Blue
- 1:00 pm
- Afternoon session
- 4:00 pm
- Event conclusion
System Blue Leadership Clinics are for students, ages 14 and up, in all sections of the marching band, including woodwind, brass, color guard, percussion, and drum majors. Each System Blue Leadership Clinic is designed to be highly experiential, and to give students tools and concrete strategies to help make an immediate difference when they return to their own bands. Specific content includes:
- Procedures and strategies for effective peer teaching
- How effective leaders communicate
- The three components of leadership effectiveness
- Seven levels of learning and awareness
- Characteristics of high-quality leaders
- Conducting skills (for drum majors). Note that System Blue Leadership Clinics do not address mace or military-style baton skills.
System Blue events for educators are relevant, content-rich sessions intended to be of immediate use to educators and their students. They are also designed to integrate seamlessly with System Blue student events so that educators and students are prepared to work more closely immediately at the conclusion of the event.
Each year, a slate of presentation is created based, in part, upon directors’ suggestion from previous years. However, directors are highly encouraged to contact Frank Troyka, System Blue Director of Education, with any specific requests for session topics. He will work to create an opportunity to address your specific needs.
Educator session topics vary by event and include:
- Understanding staging and timing
- Contemporary trends in marching technique
- Show design for bands of all sizes and levels of experience
- Effective training and use of student leaders in rehearsal
- Strategies and exercises to strengthen the percussion section
- Adapting the Blue Devils marching technique for the high school band
- Effective rehearsal technique and pacing
- The Blue Devils approach to intonation in the outdoor environment